Haiti Educational Mission Partnership in Paulette, Haiti
Formed in July 2009, the HEMP team is composed of three Central New York churches within the Cayuga-Syracuse Presbytery: United Church of Fayetteville, Park Central and Pebble Hill Presbyterian Churches. HEMP is also supported financially by Westminster, Marcellus and Skaneateles Presbyterian Churches and French Clubs throughout the United States.
• The HEMP Team has a partnership with the Haitian grassroots organization called FEED, a French acronym for “Fondation d’Épanouissement des Enfants” or Foundation for the Development of Children in Need”.
• FEED is composed of Haitian professionals who see a great need in their town of Paulette (northeastern Haiti near Cape Haitian and the Dominican Republic border) and donate part of their own salaries to help children and the elderly.
• Members of the HEMP Team have traveled to Haiti several times since 2010, the most recent being April of 2019.
• In 2018 HEMP and FEED formed a partnership with the Vibrant Village Foundation that now has provided a grant so children, at two schools HEMP supports, may have a daily lunch at FEED Headquarters near their schools.
• In partnership with FEED and Vibrant Village HEMP attempts to address the educational, nutritional and medical needs of children in Paulette.
With the help of the HEMP Team, other local churches, French Clubs in the USA, individual friends and the Vibrant Village Foundation, HEMP has supported the following:
• Good Samaritan Adult Literacy Center
• Teacher Training in the summer
• Tuition for 100 children (includes uniforms, backpacks & books for 100 children)
• Potable water in two elementary schools and FEED headquarters using chlorine tablets
• Manuals and materials for 100+ preschool children & six teachers
• Roofs, tables, chairs for the FEED headquarters
• Motorcycle ambulance and repairs
• Repair of a village well
• A yearly 3-day Mobile Medical Clinic
• Nutrition program for the children (now supported daily by the Vibrant Village Foundation)
• Funds for a dozen students to continue their education in secondary school
• Two latrines for FEED Headquarters and repairs
• Supplies and educational materials for teachers & schools & soccer balls, jump ropes and
• Continuing education for principals
• Secondary education through 12th grade for one student in Cape Haitian
• Salary supplements for teachers at the Ecole Baptiste
Your donations, participation at concerts and other fund-raisers continue to help make this outreach in Haiti sustainable. For more information, contact one of the HEMP Team’s churches, United Church of Fayetteville, Pebble Hill Presbyterian Church, or Park Central Presbyterian Church, to speak with a member of the committee.