THE ORGAN AT THE UNITED CHURCH OF FAYETTEVILLE
Built by the Johnson Organ Co., 1871, 1885 (front chamber)
Rebuilt by Chester A. Raymond, Princeton, NJ, 1955 (rear balcony)
Console replaced and Great Division raised to a mezzanine level by
Kerner & Merchant Pipe Organ Builders, Ltd., Syracuse, NY, 1989, 1994
27 Ranks (plus three 16' extensions and chimes)
Gedeckt 8 Open Diapason 8
Geigen Principal 8 Melodia 8
Salicional 8 Gemshorn 8
Voix Celeste 8 Octav 4
Harmonic Flute 4 Twelfth 2 2/3
Nazard 2 2/3 Fifteenth 2
Piccolo 2 Mixture IV
Bassoon 16 (Chimes - disconnected)
Trompette 8 Great to Great 4
Oboe 8 Swell to Great 16, 8, 4
Clarion 4 Choir to Great 16, 8, 4
Swell to Swell 16, 4
Concert Flute 8 Bourdon 16
Dulciana 8 Lieblich Gedeckt 16
Unda Maris 8 Dulciana 16
Chimney Flute 4 Bourdon 8
Block Flute 2 Lieblich Gedeckt 8
Clarinet 8 Dulciana 8
Tremolo Choral Bass 4
Choir to Choir 16, 4 Fagott 16
Swell to Choir 16, 8, 4 Trompette 8
Great to Pedal 8, 4
Swell to Pedal 8. 4
Choir to Pedal 8, 4
Manual pistons 1,2,3,4,5
General pistons 1,2,3,4,5 (duplicated on toe board)
Pedal pistons 1,2,3,4,5
A & B combination choices
This organ is mentioned in the book: “The Johnson Organs” by John Van Varick Elsworth, ed. By Donald Paterson, The Boston Organ Club Chapter of the Organ Historical Society, Harrisville, NH, c/r1984.
Our Historic Organ
The use of a pipe organ provides strong leadership for congregational singing and inspiring music at United Church of Fayetteville. The historic organ at United Church dates from 1871 and was built by Johnson Organ Co. (Op.344). William A. Johnson (1816-1901) built the organ with his son William H. Johnson in Westfield, Mass. as a two-manual organ. It was moved to a front chancel balcony (which no longer exists) in 1885. Johnson organs are known for their excellent pipework, the fine tonal blend and balance between divisions and exceptionally fine voicing which was never hard or forced.
When some remodeling of the United Church sanctuary was begun in the 1950's the organ was moved back to the rear balcony (1955). It was enlarged to three manuals and electrified by Chester A. Raymond of Princeton. The Swell and Choir divisions of the pipes were placed in the steeple tower and the Great division was left exposed in the choir loft. A new console was installed in 1989 with improvements made by Kerner & Merchant Pipe Organ Builders. Recent renovations of the church sanctuary and the organ in 1994 included raising the Great division to a mezzanine level, thus improving the acoustics of the organ. Further improvements of the organ were made in 2004, including rebuilding the three reed stops, trumpet, oboe and clarinet ranks, releathering certain gaskets, regulating the Gedeckt rank (wooden flute), complete cleaning of the chambers, and replacing the Swell division motor. The organ has 27 ranks of pipes and is maintained by Kerner & Merchant Pipe Organ Builders, Syracuse.
We appreciate the generous support of the Louise B. Stickley Charitable Trust, Alan S. Burstein,Trustee. Over the years the Stickley Trust has been invaluable in helping the church to maintain and renovate our historic Johnson organ. We also appreciate the recent contribution of the Rev. Dr. George H. DeHority Memorial Fund to the Organ Fund.
Contributions to the Organ Fund to preserve this historic instrument may be received at any time by making a check to United Church, marked Organ Fund.
Alice Dickerson Hatt, Minister of Music & Worship, 2007
From the September 2004 UCF Newsletter:
Organ repair & rehabilitation work begun
Our organ maintenance company, Kerner & Merchant Pipe Organ Builders, informed us in May that our historic Johnson pipe organ (1871) required some repairs and rehabilitation which would result in a better sounding and more usable organ, and in lower tuning and maintenance costs in the future. The work involves rebuilding three reed stops (the trumpet, oboe and clarinet ranks), repairing/replacing certain leather gaskets, cleaning, regulating and tuning certain pipes (the Gedeckt rank, a wooden flute stop), cleaning the Swell and Choir division chambers, replacing the Swell expression motor, and repairing a dead note in the Great 8' Open Diapason rank.
Our Church Board reviewed all the information and discussed the project with Kerner & Merchant and voted to go ahead with the repairs and rehabilitation this year. The funds for the project will be provided through the Church’s Estate Fund; the total cost over this year and early next year will be $18,000, with a payment schedule that will allow the church to liquidate investments to the extent necessary in a way that is most advantageous to the church.
On Aug. 9th the firm began the work by removing the three reed stops to be sent to a factory in Maryland for rebuilding (see photos of pipes being removed on the worship & music bulletin board). The total repair and rehabilitation work will be completed Nov. 19th and we will have a festive choral service in celebration soon after. The organ will be usable on Sundays during this time, but you may notice the less rich and full sound that the reed stops provide, along with solo reed use on organ pieces and choral accompaniments.
Regular upkeep of the organ has been maintained by our Organ Fund, in part subsidized by a bequest in memory of Louise B. Stickley, but which has now been depleted. Contributions to our Organ Fund are welcome and may be made at any time to help offset our maintenance costs.
The use of a pipe organ in worship provides strong leadership for congregational singing and inspiring music. The current repair and rehabilitation work provides us with an opportunity to practice both stewardship of this fine historic instrument and an investment for the future use of this important resource for worship. We are most grateful for the funds that make this possible.
About the United Church Organ
The organ at United Church dates from 1871 and was built by Johnson Organ Co. (Op.344). William A. Johnson (1816-1901) built the organ with his son William H. Johnson in Westfield, Mass. as a two-manual organ in a front chancel balcony (which no longer exists). Johnson organs are known for their excellent pipework, the fine tonal blend and balance between divisions and exceptionally fine voicing which was never hard or forced.
When some remodeling of the United Church sanctuary was begun in the 1950's the organ was moved to the rear balcony (1955). It was enlarged to three manuals and electrified by Chester Raymond of Princeton. The Swell and Choir divisions of the pipes were placed in the steeple tower and the Great division was left exposed in the choir loft. A new console was installed in 1989 with improvements made by Kerner & Merchant Pipe Organ Builders. The most recent renovations of the church sanctuary in 1994 included raising the Great division to a mezzanine level, improving the acoustics. The organ has 27 ranks of pipes and is maintained by Kerner & Merchant Pipe Organ Builders, Syracuse.
With thanks to Will O.Headlee for information on the Johnson organ
From the November 2004 UCF Newsletter:
Thanksgiving Choral Hymn Festival
Choirs, Brass, Organ - Nov. 21, 2004
The UCF Senior Choir and Children’s Choir, a brass quartet, and our newly refurbished organ will take the lead in a special musical service of thanksgiving on Nov. 21st. The rehabilitation work on the organ (see September newsletter) will be completed during the week of Nov. 10th and all the rebuilt reed pipes - trumpet, oboe and clarinet - will be reinstalled and tuned. The swell and choir chambers have been thoroughly cleaned, pipes removed and cleaned, and several parts have been fixed or replaced.
The service will include Cesar Franck=s “Psalm 150,” Haydn=s “Our Thanksgiving Song to God,” new compositions by John Ferguson, and K. Lee Scott, Thanksgiving hymns and scriptures. Organ and brass music includes the Grand Processional on “Praise to the Lord” by Martin Shaw, and J. S. Bach’s “Now thank we all our God.” There will also be readings from works of Ted Loder, Henri Nouwen, and Peter Gomes.